May 4, 2011

Falling Nova Torchwood4

I saw a commercial recently for the highly anticipated Terra Nova, airing on Fox this fall in the US. I was intrigued by the time travel then hooked by the man-eating dinosaurs. I've always said any show could be improved by the addition of giant murderous reptiles. Guess somebody heard me. It looks awesome. I hope it'll be good as the tease. Anyway, here's the trailer:





Which reminds me, I forgot a villain in my Wicked, Ode to the Villain, post last week. The T Rex in Jurassic Park. She was awesome.



Coming this summer on TNT in the US is Falling Skies. You can watch the first five minutes. I found it pretty intense. Begins June 19th.


Falling Skies: First Five


I'm sad we don't get the Starz channel. This July 8, it premieres Torchwood 4. It'll be airing simultaneously on BBC in the UK. I will be eagerly awaiting the release of the dvds. I know some people really hated the third season, Children of the Earth, but I loved it. This series is unexpected, which keeps the suspense high. You really have no idea where it's going or what the outcome is going to be, because Torchwood doesn't play it safe. That's my favorite thing about it.

For those not in the know, Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who. Torchwood is a Doctor Who spin-of that started life on the BBC. The series stars John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness, who runs a branch of the Torchwood Institute out of Cardiff in Wales. Torchwood is a clandestine organization that counters threats to Earth. Miracle Day, season 4, is a co-production between BBC Wales, BBC Worldwide and Starz.

Season 4 looks to being broader in scope with a more global flavor. A revamped Torchwood team stops off in Los Angeles and possibly other international locations.

"The theme is something that's going to affect... and touch everybody," star Eva Myles [plays Gwen Cooper] recently told DigitalSpy. "Everybody's going to relate [to it]."

Showrunner Russell T. Davies gave more away at the Television Critics Association in January.

"[T]he premise is a miracle that happens to the world. It’s as simple as this, that one day on Earth no one dies. Not a single person on Earth dies. The next day no one dies. The next day no one dies and on and on and on. Now, the sixth day, the old stay old and keep getting older. The dying keep dying, but no one quite dies. The possibility of death ceases to exist."

Cast additions for the new series  include Mekhi Phifer, Alexa Havins, and Bill Pullman, and will be more US-oriented than previous seasons.





Two upcoming shows that seem promising. And one I will look forward to coming out on dvd. Still no space opera on the horizon that I see. Dinosaurs and alien wars will do in the meantime. And some Jack Harkness.

The final episode of Stargate Universe airs Monday, May 9th at 9:00 p.m. on Syfy.

So what do you think?